Monday 6 August 2018

Marty Robbins - A White Sport Coat And A Pink Carnation and My Eldest Brother with his Prom Date, Mary Lu Thompson

_____________________



____________________

     This is an inter-familial submission just because I happened to run across
 it.  The picture is of my eldest brother, father to my Niece Helen.   The beauty
is Mary Lu Thompson who lived in the centre of McAllen, Texas, while we
lived "out in the country".  To wit:

From: Mary Lu Fouts 
Date: September 23, 2010 8:28:52 PM GMT-04:00
To: David Newton <privatouring@gmail.com>
Subject: Prom night circa 1954

  I found this old picture in some of the things I have kept and I thought
perhaps you did not have this one of  Milton. My son, Bill, made a copy
of the movie for me and I will send it along also.  I wish the movie was longer and
not so dark but the film was so degraded this was the best he could do. I  
spoke to a gentleman in Maryland who restores old 35mm film but he said
that he could not do anything much since he was working from a copy of
a copy.  I sent sister Margaret on a fact finding mission which necessitated 
her contacting our cousin, the keeper of the family films and also the designated
mourner for the family.  She has mourned and grieved over every lost family
member since the Boer War so conversation with her can be a bit depressing.
Margaret, being the patient sister, got the job of finding out about the original
movie.  Sadly, it was so old it had simply disintegrated into dust.  So.. there you
have it!  I will send what I have along right away.  I know that it isn't much but
 I do love looking at it and remembering a wonderful and happy time in my life.
     You said in your last letter that you had a question or two for me..? If you ask
them I will do my best to answer them.

Take care,
Mary Lu
PS....I am glad to hear that your Father in law is feeling much better... yes,
I do read your blog! 

   


     I even remember Milton bringing Mary Lu out to the house after the Prom…really
 late…like around 11:30.  My mother looked really great in a bathrobe and her hair
 up in…like 1904 iron curler clips.  I remembered asking Mary Lu if she were a
Princess.
     Mary Lu informed my parents that her parents had bought
a 27 inch television.   We would buy one three years later; a Packard Bell. now?
Ah!! Gone with the Wind….

El Gringo Viejo
_________________



David Christian Newton
QUINTA TESORO de la SIERRA MADRE
a pleasantly rustic bed and breakfast at the foot of the Sierra Madre
Oriental, in the countryside not far from Cd. Victoria, Tamaulipas, Mexico.
Birds, butterflies, and other creatures framed by an absolutely perfect view into
the "real Mexico".    Pleasant accommodations, good food, and good libations.
 A
near-perfect atmosphere for total relaxation.   E-mail us any time or call
956 - 205 - 2441....we'll get back to you quickly!

<https://sites.google.com/site/quintatesorodelasierramadrecom/