Saturday 29 December 2012

(SIR EDMUND) HILLARY'S SCANDAL (one among the many)

Not the words of El Gringo Viejo....but the words of one of the last of a dying breed...an honest Democrat.

HILLARY'S WATERGATE SCANDAL
By Jerry Zeifman  

     IN December 1974, as general counsel and chief of staff of the House Judiciary Committee, I made a personal evaluation of Hillary Rodham (now Mrs. Clinton), a member of the staff we had gathered for our impeachment inquiry on President Richard Nixon. I decided that I could not recommend her for any future position of public or private trust.

     Why? Hillary's main duty on our staff has been described by as "establishing the legal procedures to be followed in the course of the inquiry and impeachment." A number of the procedures she recommended were ethically flawed. And I also concluded that she had violated House and committee rules by disclosing confidential information to unauthorized persons.



This new picture of (Sir Edmund) Hillary
appeared in the New York Times during a
brief run, but the French Embassy
 complained about copyright
 infringement.   Since her
"concussion" she has only been
able to speak four different African
languages, classical Japanese, and two
languages known only have originated in
 outer space.
 

     Hillary had conferred personally with me regarding procedural rules. I advised her that Judiciary Committee Chairman Peter Rodino, House Speaker Carl Albert, Majority Leader Tip O'Neill and I had previously agreed not to advocate anything contrary to the rules already adopted and published for that Congress. I quoted Mr. O'Neill's statement that: "To try to change the rules now would be politically divisive. It would be like trying to change the traditional rules of baseball before a World Series."

     Hillary assured me that she had not drafted and would not advocate any such rules changes. I soon learned that she had lied: She had already drafted changes, and continued to advocate them.   In one written legal memorandum, she advocated denying President Nixon representation by counsel. This, though in our then-most-recent prior impeachment proceeding, the committee had afforded the right to counsel to Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas.

       I also informed Hillary that the Douglas impeachment files were available for public inspection in our offices. I later learned that the Douglas files were then removed from our general files without my permission, transferred to the offices of the impeachment inquiry staff, and were no longer accessible to the public.

      During my 14-year tenure with the House Judiciary Committee, I had supervisory authority over several hundred staff members. With the exception of Ms. Rodham, Doar and Nussbaum, I recommend all of them for future positions of public and private trust.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
As always, we appreciate your investment of time and attention.
El Gringo Viejo