Tuesday 6 March 2018

"Secrets of the Gringo Viejo Family

Estimado Consuegro:

     Long story short, we have had a very unpredictable schedule.  Oddly, I have been named to be an election worker at one of the big precincts here in  Hidalgo County...in the western part of McAllen.  So, I shall be further out of pocket.  To-morrow, we (I) have to go to the Hidalgo County seat of Edinburg for a "training session", and then on Tuesday you will find me on some obscure site on west Vermont Street in McAllen from 06:00 through 21:00 hours  (with luck).


 This is a picture of my mother.
  My mother-in-law, my wife, and my mother were all elected most beautiful
in those days.  (late 1920s through the mid-1960s)This picture come from Edinburg, Texas in 1929.   She was a typical Southern  rural genius, read over 50,000 books
 during her time.  She kicked  Fannie Shore in the southern regions and
forced her to surmount the limp leg from the polio.
  She shepherded Dinah (Fannie) Shore, 
later to become a glittering
songstress, by pushing her into baseball, stick and wheel,
 and even football, playing against mainly boys. 


 My brothers and I took much from her looks.  She has the face of my
 middle brother, and the colour of my eldest and your humble servant.


​​​​​
​​
      In any regard, these Valencia trees, herein pictured, are only two years old and they began to produce, true enough, a minor crop, a harvest of the finest gift and holiday packer quality Valencia...two years ahead of schedule.
      The Hacendado de la Vega's efforts might pay off as I have said, early on.  Upon return to the Quinta and the Hacienda de la Vega, I shall report to you if there is a "flowering set" on these new plantings of the limes upon which  Don Rafael is counting.  Although it is a year ahead of the anticipated, the oranges on these Valencias speaks to the magical and mystical nature of the relationship between citrus and the Zone of Santa Engracia.

(up-date -  The issue of being involved with the primary vote was a disaster.  I left before 10:00 am in order to not offend further and to take care of things of greater importance.  During the first two hours, we had 8 voters, being attended by 7 poll workers.  I was astounded when it was learned that the position is now a paid position.  I refused any compensation.   Things change after twenty or so years, I guess.)

El Gringo Viejo
_________________________
David Christian Newton

QUINTA TESORO de la SIERRA MADRE

a pleasantly rustic bed and breakfast at the foot of the Sierra Madre 

Oriental, in the countryside not far from Cd. Victoria, Tamaulipas, Mexico.
Birds, butterflies, and other creatures framed by an absolutely perfect view into 

the "real Mexico".    Pleasant accommodations, good food, and good libations. A 

near-perfect atmosphere for total relaxation.   E-mail us any time or call 

956 - 205 - 2441....we'll get back to you quickly!