Saturday 3 February 2018

The Pre-Professional Period of El Gringo Viejo - Since someone asked



David Christian Newton

     Several 1st jobs...but it was learned that I am not employable. My only way out was through politics and then self-employment. My wife and I operated a very nice excursion company to Mexico for 22 years, among other things....a really nice laundromat in South Mission for 12 years (simultaneously)...a gold, silver, and jewellery collection and sales business...   Perhaps, the four of five things I did during grades 9 through 12, and then the four or five jobs during my collegiate times:     (1) park leader at West Austin Park in near downtown Austin, Texas during the "long, hot summer of 1966" when there were hints and fears of anarchy due to the riots in the North and the shooting of Martin Luther King, Jr. The park served an old Angloid neighbourhood, and had an ancient neighbourhood called Clarksville which was entirely Negro...many tracing their time there back to before the War Between the States...most were middle class, skilled blue-collar people and long-term, very professional maids to homes of the super-duper wealthy, old Blue Bloods over in Tarrytown, almost adjacent to "Clarksville".   And then we had the Latin element, almost totally of Mexican / Spanish origin, many with origins dating from or before the Republican Period of Texas (1836 - 1845)...sprinkled among a few of German, Czech, and Polish descended people. I kept my park open throughout the menaces and rumours and played the fair-man to all. It was a three month stint, including the Charles Whitman - University of Texas Tower Sniper event.      (2) The next Summer (1967) it was my pleasure to drive over almost all the face of the Republic of Texas collecting my photos (polaroid) and notes, and forms, concerning the ethnic and historical elements of the composition of population of Texas ...all of this in preparation of the openning of the HEMISFAIR 68 which would celebrate the 28 ethnic groups that compose the fabric of Texian Culture. They paid all my expenses, 300 USD/month and gave me a fancy badge that I had to turn in at the end of my service with the signature of John Connally, Governor of Texas. I was supposed to show this badge to people when I was asking questions about matters of privacy.      (3)  THEN, there was a nearly year long stint at host, cashier, maitre'd of the finest Mexican restaurant of the "foo - foo" level, El Chico's #10 in Hancock Centre of Austin (about 3 blocks from my parent's home in near north-central Austin. It was a wondrous time (really excellent food and service).     (4)  After that,  I talked myself into another position at the best hamburger joint in San Marcos, Texas, (or perhaps Texas), situated on the first block south from the Campus of Southwest Texas State University...(to-day, lamentably formally known as Texas State University). It had become tiresome to "commute" the 30 miles twixt Austin and San Marcos in order to complete my degree.       I began as a counter worker, and wound up as night and week-end manager during the last 10 months of my university career. I worked at Gil's Broiler for a total of 20 months. Gil Rainocek, a true small business genius and work-a-holic, always seemed to resent that I came from a family that had small but significant resources and that I was a spoiled snot. But he declared that I was a mediocre counter man, a perfect public relations man, and the best manager he had ever had. Your humble servant left there, during the last four months, being paid DOUBLE the minimum wage!   Of note, upon visiting the same place, some 40 years later, to show my daughter, wife, and some friends, the present owner was advised by your humble servant that he had worked at Gil's Broiler in 1968 and 1969. He smiled a bit, and said that there were a lot of people who said that they had worked at Gil's, and he plopped out a metal box-file that could hold 3X5 note cards.  He asked my name, and voila! El Gringo Viejo's name was there - as a weekend and night manager ever, and even my good old personal data et. al. was there for the world to see.    Any offer of gratuities would always be refused, but if the client insisted, that money would be taken and your humble servant would put it into a coffee can beneath the counter. When I left it had 423 dollars in it. I gave it to the employees.    SO NOW YOU KNOW, I had several "first jobs", and we are trying not to leave out the very beginning as a "batter-up" service in South McAllen that had pitching machines.  It was just north from the compound on Toronto and 10th where the Bowling Alley was in those times.   A go-cart track had been put in just behind the Bowling Alley. I worked alone and was 13 at that time, and the owner, a close friend of my eldest brother, thought that I was much older (already 6'2" and scrawny at 158 pounds).  Wage was $0.65/hr. and a couple of Cokes on house from the machine per 8 hour shift.   Summer of 1960   This job preceded the others, Tommy Traylor and I used to engage fellows at the Bowl-a-Rama on South Tenth and soak them playing straight pool. Tommy was the superior player...he had me along to give the other "doubles player" some hope of victory. I have never seen a better player of straight pool than Thomas Dale Traylor, and I have seen many. Biggest night ever? During Whitewing Season one night, Tommy and I picked up 222 USD....which was divided 60 / 40 with Thomas Dale receiving the larger share (justifiably). This was in 1965 So, as you all can see, and not counting the jobs like wiping down new and used cars at Clark Chevrolet, and the Pontiac / Cadillac place next door, so that the window and paint jobs would glisten before the potential buyers arrived....$0.50 USD per Auto. Tommy and I could do about 40 in the pre-dawn....and that we split 50 / 50. WHEW!!!!!! And there is more where that comes from!!!!! Tommy and I both graduated from our university studies at the age of 21. We were young for our age......As usual, thanks for the time and interest.El Gringo Viejo________________
Manage




LikeShow More Reactions