Saturday 4 December 2010

Dry, Cold, and Hopin' for the Bloomin'


Some of Summer 2009 harvest
     Right now, oddly enough, my thoughts are about taking avocado, mango, and guayaba fertilizer to the Quinta.   This is the time to have the plant food in hand, because it needs to be applied during the depths of Winter.   It will also be time to put down some zinc on our wild pecan trees that line the Rio Corona, and the couple that have prospered a bit since the clearing of our lot, 10 years ago.

     The pecan trees are "nativos"  and not grafted to an improved or designer type "Texas Indian" race of pecans.    Because of this the nuts are small and hard, but the meat is very oily and has an exceptional flavour.   So, it is worth the trouble to help them along.   The other fruit trees are ornamental mainly, but their production is actually magnificent.   The quality is better than perfect to the palate of an old farm-born rustic like your humble servant.

This is how Avocadoes "flower"

      Last year, because of a very cold Winter and an extremely wet summer we had no set of blossoms for the Royal Poncianas (flamboyanes), or for the avocados and guayabas.   So, this year, we are really hoping for a "Royal Flush".....of fruit set and blossoms.


     My children will be furious with me perhaps, but sometimes people might think that those of us who own property in a foreign country and abide, while in  that country, with that country's laws and customs.....are anti-American or "escaping" from our  Americanism.   In my case, this is certainly not the case in the least.     I considered myself to be one of those people the media elite sneer about and ridicule....one of those people who attend Tea Party rallys and makes sure there is no litter, trash, or garbage left behind.  

     My dealings in Mexico come from working there for many years as a business owner in tourism....and from following my parents, my grandmother, and my great-grandfather into the venturesome trap that Mexico always sets for the unsuspecting.   My investment in the Quinta Tesoro de la Sierra Madre is just that....an investment.   It is close to Texas (225 miles away), and it is in a very pleasant, secure, and dull area which is surrounded by intense agricultural pursuits and by profound geographics.    It  was done to provide a bit of a business and to provide a decent retirement situation, and as a place for my children, friends, and grandchildren.....after Obama throws my carcass onto the dung-heap.

Of, course, everybody knows
avocado trees are made for providing
shade for Smokey the Cat

      Also, I ceaselessly dig into the background of my children, through a tedious peeling back of generation after generation of Garza and Newton presence in the New World....and to some extent in the Old World.   SO!  Going back to the original point, this next inclusion speaks more to the origin of what kind of eccentric would feel comfortable in this  rural Mexican environment.....even in spite of ....or  because of, the nature of that environment.


     This is the note I  wrote my tezquintles ("pups" in Nahuatl) which speaks to their blood line and home regions on their father's paternal grandmother's side.

Hello, Children!


     This is a really great geo-cultural survey .....on one screed....of the Hudson Valley....Several of the places, especially in Lower Hudson and Middle Hudson Valley areas are where a lot of your dead people live. The first ones went into the area before it was New York...but rather New Amsterdam....1620 - 1640. You have people there who are doctors, nurses, Paint & Body Works, Auto dealers, farmers, Hardware Store owners, and so forth....I have found many of them, still in the area or within 75 miles radius. Since they would be something like 16th cousins to you, I determined that it would be best not to crash their next family reunion. It is interesting to note however, that they have been there, literally, for over 20 generations. They, like your Southern Cousins, became melded into an American "Race". These people of the Land of the Headless Horseman were produced with Germanic (Saxon, Prussian, and Hessian) 50%, English (Normanic, Anglo-Saxon, Celtic) 43.75%, and Indian (Quinnapiac, Iroquois, and Mohegan) 06.25%.  This is an estimate, because my DNA machine is down for maintenance right now....but it is a fair estimate.

       The web-site is about this year's Autumn-type events all along the Hudson, so it can be lengthy....but it is worth returning to a few times....You can see yourselves at times.




    I do not know for the life of me if this web site is going to open, but we'll give it a try ...and you will know me a bit better.   As usual, I remain

Grateful for your time and attention,

The Old Gringo